No immediate threat

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

GenoM

Re: No immediate threat

Post by GenoM »

hi Gabor

you're making a little mistake testing Belka versions in the way if they are a versions of an engine that is completed. These versions are developer's versions and the last is not supposed to be the stongest one of them :)

But if you already started testing Belka 1.8.12, we'll waiting to see the matches against other top-opponents.

Regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

SzG wrote:
GenoM wrote:hi Gabor

you're making a little mistake testing Belka versions in the way if they are a versions of an engine that is completed. These versions are developer's versions and the last is not supposed to be the stongest one of them :)

But if you already started testing Belka 1.8.12, we'll waiting to see the matches against other top-opponents.

Regards,
Geno
Hi Geno,

I am not going to test Belka against other opposition. I was just curious how far it may be from the engine many say it is clone of.
Anyway, I am not expecting considerable strength increase from the final version of Belka. Playing with parameters usually does not help much.

Regards,
In that case the right opponent is rybka beta because belka is supposed to be a clone of strelka that is a clone of rybka beta based on vasik.

Uri
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

SzG wrote:My intention was to compare engines at their currently available stage of development. Belka is a development version of Strelka, while Rybka 2.3.2a is a 'development version' of the 1.0 beta.
Exactly this is the little mistake you stick to: Belka 1.8.12 is not currently available stage of development of Strelka.
take it easy :)
jdart

Post by jdart »

In game 4, it is interesting that Rybka's score jumps to +3.99 after
113. Qf4+.

This is the position before Qf4+:
[D] 8/5Q2/3qp1pk/7p/2P4P/6P1/7K/8 w - -

White is about to force an exchange into a winning Pawn endgame. I tried this on other engines, such as Toga (and Arasan), and they like Qf4+, but they don't like it that much. Toga gets to +2.3 in about a minute on my laptop (ply 24).

--Jon