Question to co-Author of Fruit and Chess64, Ryan Benitez

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ryan Benitez

Re: Question to co-Author of Fruit and Chess64, Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

I have been in the middle of moving so Fruit has been on hold for the last few days but I have some thinking to do about if to make a new release and what version.
I know you mean well with the title but I feel a little odd because Fabien is the brains behind Fruit and Ches64. I am just lucky enough to be involved and the hobby is a lot of fun for me. Please remember that my contribution is still very much the minority compared to the time, skill and effort that Fabien puts into the chess engines.

Thanks,
Ryan
swami

Post by swami »

Ryan Benitez wrote:I have been in the middle of moving so Fruit has been on hold for the last few days but I have some thinking to do about if to make a new release and what version.
I know you mean well with the title but I feel a little odd because Fabien is the brains behind Fruit and Ches64. I am just lucky enough to be involved and the hobby is a lot of fun for me. Please remember that my contribution is still very much the minority compared to the time, skill and effort that Fabien puts into the chess engines.

Thanks,
Ryan
Thanks for the info,Ryan.

Fruit 5/11 is playing so much better at blitz than the Fruit 2.2.1, ofcourse Fabien also deserve the major credit.I'm sure you have added more elo to the current fruit, as some programmers say that it is so difficult to add more elo if the engine is already 2600+.I'm glad that you are still working with Fabien on chess64, and that Fabien has not given up chess programming.
I have heard a few years ago that Fabien is also working on a new GUI, is that so?
All the best with Fruit, and Chess64 on CCT, it should beat Rybka :)
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Rybka won CCT twice in a row, I doubt that any current engine got chances with 9 rounds to score higher than Rybka. I wish Lance Perkins was still active in chess programming, Thinker was a very promising engine.
swami

Post by swami »

Tony Thomas wrote:Rybka won CCT twice in a row, I doubt that any current engine got chances with 9 rounds to score higher than Rybka. I wish Lance Perkins was still active in chess programming, Thinker was a very promising engine.
Well, suppose chess64 is stronger than Fruit, it might even beat Rybka. :wink:
Ómar

Post by Ómar »

As a betatester of Fruit I want to clarify some matters for coauthor Ryan Benitez.
The free Fruit 051103 is not the Fruit 051103 that I got to test at that time. It is much stronger.
So when Ryan took over Fruit in desember 2005 he had this weaker Fruit to begin with.
And when people are wondering why Fruit 1.3.1 is not much stronger than Fruit 051103 after all this time of developing and testing, this may be the reason.
I know that this must have been frustrating for my friend Ryan. My other good friend, Joachim Rang, how realised Fruit 051103 could maybe throw some light on the matter.
The newest Fruit from Ryan is the strongest of all Fruits and I have suggested it to him that he realised it for free.
swami

Post by swami »

Ómar wrote: The newest Fruit from Ryan is the strongest of all Fruits and I have suggested it to him that he realised it for free.
I'm sure he would release the newer Fruit, and probably a new engine after CCT though still not sure about it.

current strongest Fruit with 50 more elo, I'm sure it would top the strongest freeware engine rankings.
swami

Post by swami »

Tony Thomas wrote:Rybka won CCT twice in a row, I doubt that any current engine got chances with 9 rounds to score higher than Rybka. I wish Lance Perkins was still active in chess programming, Thinker was a very promising engine.
Lance is quite a good programmer,I wonder if he has said anything about newer Thinker,I don't see him posting in forums since the last CCT?Will he release it anytime soon?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ryan Benitez wrote:I have been in the middle of moving so Fruit has been on hold for the last few days but I have some thinking to do about if to make a new release and what version.

Thanks,
Ryan
I can only say that I prefer that you will not release it as free program.
It is better if you do it commercial or if you do not release it.

In case that you choose to do it commercial then I think that it is better not to give it copy protection(assuming it is going to be weaker than rybka2.3.2a).

People who get programs by illegal means are going to get rybka2.3.2a that has no copy protection from friends and are not going to buy fruit because of copy protection and copy protection only can cause you to spend time for nothing and to lose customers.

Uri
swami

Post by swami »

Uri Blass wrote:

Thanks,
Ryan

In case that you choose to do it commercial then I think that it is better not to give it copy protection(assuming it is going to be weaker than rybka2.3.2a).

People who get programs by illegal means are going to get rybka2.3.2a that has no copy protection from friends and are not going to buy fruit because of copy protection and copy protection only can cause you to spend time for nothing and to lose customers.

Uri
I don't think Fruit is ever going to be commercial again, maybe Chess64 will.

the question is whether it will come with its own gui that support wb/uci engines since I have heard that Fabien is working on it.
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Uri Blass wrote:

Thanks,
Ryan

Uri
In a way I wish I could justify releasing Fruit open source but I do not plan on it because it could punish hard working commercial programmers who I respect. Because Fruit does not come with a GUI or support I think free closed source still makes sense. I don't know what method of release Chess64 will use if any but that choice is going to be whatever Fabien feels is best and I will support whatever he chooses.

Ryan