community test result web page?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Re: community test result web page?

Post by mjlef »

OK, I found some free wikis sites that host and everything. I setup a starter here:

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/

and a sample page here:

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... ve+Pruning

where I put in an idea I tested last night.
opraus

Post by opraus »

Hi,

Some 'Ideas' do no good in combination with others, and some do better; Therefore, it is hard to say 'universally' that something is good/bad.

But, if we set up a database where every participant enters the 'specs' of their program and the corresponding improvement gained, anyone can compare their 'specs' to others with similar ones to see what works best.

Ie, every engine entry would have a 'check' next to each 'idea' implemented, and a comment/score for it's value.

This way you could query the DB for engines like your own, and see what else improved them, without fear of mixing/matching incompatible 'ideas'.

A spreadsheet in Google Docs might be a start??

Each contributor would add rows for any 'spec'/idea he has implemented, and the rest would have to edit/update with their engines' spec.

Eventually, there would be many rows of specs, with many columns of participants, and each cell would contain anything from na, bad, neutral, good, great, untested ....

We could just share a Google Spreadsheet
opraus

Post by opraus »

mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I have actually done some similar spreadsheets about a few public programs. It would have to contain a lot of conditions though, since some ideas only work with very specific conditions.
mageofmaple

Post by mageofmaple »

mjlef wrote:OK, I found some free wikis sites that host and everything. I setup a starter here:

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/

and a sample page here:

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... ve+Pruning

where I put in an idea I tested last night.
Very nice. I like a nice, simple solution. I would be happy to contribute.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

I think this is a good idea. It could be expanded to be a complete source of theory. For instance, in the null move page, we could quote the old post of Christophe Theron about the Null Move Observation. We could link his name to a page about him, his engine, and other ideas he might have talked about. If many people contribute to this, we could have a quite nice little site. And as it pertains to the original post, we could have a results section on each page, where different authors can describe their implementations and the outcome.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Zach Wegner wrote:I think this is a good idea. It could be expanded to be a complete source of theory. For instance, in the null move page, we could quote the old post of Christophe Theron about the Null Move Observation. We could link his name to a page about him, his engine, and other ideas he might have talked about. If many people contribute to this, we could have a quite nice little site. And as it pertains to the original post, we could have a results section on each page, where different authors can describe their implementations and the outcome.
yes indeed. Some people have put together some of this information before, but the wiki lets anyone correct add and clarify it. So start editing away! Don Dailey just joined the wiki too.

I will try to add basic bages each day for a few weeks to fluff out the site outline. I encourage anyone who wants to join to start editing with me. Right now, I am requiring people sign up, just to prevent robots from trashing the wiki like so many other have done to others in the past.

Mark
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

This all sounds like a good idea =), I'll help in any way that I can.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

I think this should be expanded beyond programming. For instance, I just created a page about the xboard protocol. We could have a page for xboard itself, as well as its spinoffs (winboard_x, winboard_f). Then we could have pages about other GUIs. We could then have pages for the testing groups. Why not have pages for famous contributors to computer chess? There is a lot of room for expansion.

Some other things I think might be important:
A nice logo
A coherent layout: Each page should have contents (if long enough), pictures, code examples, and on the side a topic listing. If you look at say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus you can see the contents as well as a "Topics in Calculus" table on the right. This latter part could be used to separate the sections, like "Topics in Evaluation."
Code--should we use pseudocode, real C code, or what? This should be uniform throughout the pages.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I agree. If someone with a bit better eye for design than me can come up with a few templates, that would be great.

I think either C pr pseudo code is fine, just as long as it is explained well. It is the idea that counts.