Strelka -- clone status

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Strelka -- clone status

Post by Dann Corbit »

All of the programmers who examined Strelka are relatively familiar with Fruit. But the real expert and the one who's opinion matters most is Fabian. Fabian is making a careful examination now. I think it is his opinion that will matter more than anyone else's.

As far as the Rybka thing goes, I think that the most logical person to answer those questions is Vas. If he feels that Rybka has been infringed then he should tell us if he feels that way and why.

The people who have examined the current state of Strelka have seen the code and made their opinions. But the opinions that matter the most (especially since they would be the injured parties) are still pending.

I think that the best course to take at this point is to see what those authors have to say.
Ryan Benitez

Re: Strelka -- clone status

Post by Ryan Benitez »

His name is Fabien. Anyway I hope this puts some closure to this topic so everyone can move on. For now I maintain my original stance about Strelka that it is a very well done study released in a dubious way.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ryan Benitez wrote:His name is Fabien. Anyway I hope this puts some closure to this topic so everyone can move on. For now I maintain my original stance about Strelka that it is a very well done study released in a dubious way.
I agree with your assessment. In any case, I think at a bare minimum, Strelka should have acknowledgements in the readme.
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

http://www.fabianforte.com/

Dann timedates himself ;)
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Dann Corbit wrote:All of the programmers who examined Strelka are relatively familiar with Fruit. But the real expert and the one who's opinion matters most is Fabian. Fabian is making a careful examination now. I think it is his opinion that will matter more than anyone else's.
I think that the best course to take at this point is to see what those authors have to say.
No.

People have suspected it to be a Rybka clone(or an algorithm theft, w/e), Fruit issues was bought later as more suspicion aroused.

Therefore, the only person/programmer whom opinion matters, is Vasik Rajlich, coder of Rybka, who is also the only person with access to it's code.

Other programmer's opinions is useless.

And considering Strelka's sources are already in too many hands.. I very much doubt if he would like to do that.

So the gloomy identity of Strelka's sources shall remain well concealed for the time being, and quite honestly - no one should care, as already the offspring strength lags an epoch in front his big brother's (whoever that might be..) shade

Strelka 1.8 2866 / Rybka 2.3.2a 32-bit 3013
geots

Post by geots »

Nid Hogge wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:All of the programmers who examined Strelka are relatively familiar with Fruit. But the real expert and the one who's opinion matters most is Fabian. Fabian is making a careful examination now. I think it is his opinion that will matter more than anyone else's.
No.

People have suspected it to be a Rybka clone(or an algorithm theft, w/e), Fruit issues was bought later as more suspicion aroused.

Therefore, the only person/programmer whom opinion matters, is Vasik Rajlich, coder of Rybka, who is also the only person with access to it's code.

And considering Strelka's sources are already in too many hands.. I very much doubt if he would like to do that.

So the gloomy identity of Strelka's sources shall remain well concealed for the time being, and quite honestly - no one should care, as already the offspring strength lags an epoch in front his big brother's (whoever that might be..) shade

I will certainly second that! Extremely well said!

Very Best Regards,
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Nid Hogge wrote:
No.

You compare with the wrong rybka.

The claim is that strelka is based on rybka beta so there is no reason to compare with rybka2.3.2a

Uri
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Uri Blass wrote: The claim is that strelka is based on rybka beta so there is no reason to compare with rybka2.3.2a

Uri
May be you did not understand his point. He said that it is pointless to do all these comparisons because current version of rybka is so far ahead of the version that was allegedly cloned.
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Ryan Benitez wrote:His name is Fabien. Anyway I hope this puts some closure to this topic so everyone can move on. For now I maintain my original stance about Strelka that it is a very well done study released in a dubious way.
*sign*

I'm just want to add on that it looks like to me everybody is ignoring what the author of Strelka claimed. He said that he started from a fruit code base and that's enought to call it a clone in my eyes (don't forget the GPL violation) or at least a dirty start developing a own chessengine.

There is no need to prove something.
There is no need to explain something.

However, i wrote so much about this topic and now it's just annoying. I hope the end of this story comes fast.
But one thing is pretty clear for me, the computerchess community itself got and get a big image damage anyway. :cry:

Best,
Daniel
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
*sign*

I'm just want to add on that it looks like to me everybody is ignoring what the author of Strelka claimed. He said that he started from a fruit code base and that's enought to call it a clone in my eyes (don't forget the GPL violation) or at least a dirty start developing a own chessengine.

There is no need to prove something.
There is no need to explain something.

However, i wrote so much about this topic and now it's just annoying. I hope the end of this story comes fast.
But one thing is pretty clear for me, the computerchess community itself got and get a big image damage anyway. :cry:

Best,
Daniel
I think we do not know what the author claimed and maybe the person who made the claims is not the author of the program.

Even if we assume that the author claimed that he started from fruit
then I think that it is not enough.

Suppose tord claims tomorrow that he started from a fruit code base .
Is it enough to claim that Glaurung is a fruit clone without looking at the source.

I think that the answer is clearly negative.

Note that I saw similiarity in analysis to rybka and not to fruit and I do not understand why people hurry to believe a claim that it is based on fruit.

Uri