Strelka 1.8 source code review

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Bryan Hofmann

Strelka 1.8 source code review

Post by Bryan Hofmann »

I have been asked once again to review the Strelka source code version 1.8. I do this with mixed feelings in that I will never be able to convince some of you that what I am looking at is original code. Everyone should know by now that the Rybka code was not stolen, Vas has stated the source is on a system that is not connected to the Internet. The author of Strelka has admitted that both code and binary data from other engines were reviewed. It is up to the reader to decide if this is against their beliefs, I will say this occurs more often then is believed in the computer industry.

I have been told that the Strelka source code was distributed to Dann Corbitt and I along with two other chess engine authors. I know Dann has reviewed the code as he sent me an email message about it.

I will end with a simple statement in that the Strelka author has convinced me his chess engine is not a clone.

Bryan
Christopher Conkie

Re: Strelka 1.8 source code review

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Bryan Hofmann wrote:I have been asked once again to review the Strelka source code version 1.8. I do this with mixed feelings in that I will never be able to convince some of you that what I am looking at is original code. Everyone should know by now that the Rybka code was not stolen, Vas has stated the source is on a system that is not connected to the Internet. The author of Strelka has admitted that both code and binary data from other engines were reviewed. It is up to the reader to decide if this is against their beliefs, I will say this occurs more often then is believed in the computer industry.

I have been told that the Strelka source code was distributed to Dann Corbitt and I along with two other chess engine authors. I know Dann has reviewed the code as he sent me an email message about it.

I will end with a simple statement in that the Strelka author has convinced me his chess engine is not a clone.

Bryan
Funny you should say that

This was also on the same disconnected machine.......

:lol:

Anyone got the right date?

Last edited by Christopher Conkie on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Bryan Hofmann wrote:I have been asked once again to review the Strelka source code version 1.8. I do this with mixed feelings in that I will never be able to convince some of you that what I am looking at is original code. Everyone should know by now that the Rybka code was not stolen, Vas has stated the source is on a system that is not connected to the Internet. The author of Strelka has admitted that both code and binary data from other engines were reviewed. It is up to the reader to decide if this is against their beliefs, I will say this occurs more often then is believed in the computer industry.

What is the (exact) definition of a clone? :D

I think what matters is if it's illegal or not and if violates any copyrights of any other engine. But this is too complicated to answer with accuracy based on laws and don't just provide an opinion.....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Bryan Hofmann

Post by Bryan Hofmann »

George Tsavdaris wrote:

I think what matters is if it's illegal or not and if violates any copyrights of any other engine. But this is too complicated to answer with accuracy based on laws and don't just provide an opinion.....

I'm not a lawyer, but I would say if the copyright owners of Rybka believe that something is wrong there is always the justice system.

Bryan
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Bryan Hofmann wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but I would say if the copyright owners of Rybka believe that something is wrong there is always the justice system.

Bryan
Beating the dead horse has been used at this forum, so I decided to go with Von Damage on this whole issue.

Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Deja-Vu?

How in the world did it start again?

*sigh*.......