a few words about Convekta

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ozziejoe

a few words about Convekta

Post by ozziejoe »

Hi folks,

I know software mostly gets critizized on this forum so i thought i would say something nice.

the convekta interface for playing chess online (internet chess assistant club) is probably fourth most popular, after probably chessbase, icc, and one other (Fics?). But does anybody here agree that it is the nicest interface of the group. It is a pity it does not do better, since that sort of programming should be rewarded.

I also want to note another nice thing about convekta software. I recently lost my entire collection of chess middlegame (four disks) in a move. Convekta is replacing them for free. How is that for software support!

best
Joseph
Dann Corbit

Re: a few words about Convekta

Post by Dann Corbit »

Chess Assistant is my favorite chess package. Basically, it does everything I could ever want it to do.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

ozziejoe wrote:Hi folks,

I know software mostly gets critizized on this forum so i thought i would say something nice.

the convekta interface for playing chess online (internet chess assistant club) is probably fourth most popular, after probably chessbase, icc, and one other (Fics?). But does anybody here agree that it is the nicest interface of the group. It is a pity it does not do better, since that sort of programming should be rewarded.

I also want to note another nice thing about convekta software. I recently lost my entire collection of chess middlegame (four disks) in a move. Convekta is replacing them for free. How is that for software support!

best
Joseph
Actually, I think it is only a matter of time before that place starts filling up. As you said, their software has a number of perks that others don't have, such as being able to see the crosstable of the event, then clicking on a result or pairing and see the game. A very very large thing in its favor is that it is free. No charges to have a rating, nor to keep/send your private messages, etc. They also organize free events non-stop, including team events, for people you know or don't. The chat area often has people requesting others to join for these.

Albert
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Actually, one interface I particularly like is the ICC interface in Chess Assistant 8 - I prefer this console-like approach to the internet chess assistant club one - and it is of course well-integrated with the main Chess Assistant, so you could analyze your game or find novelties etc quite easily.

It would be great if the folks at Convekta would make it useable for FICS, but I guess this unlikely... :(
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

[quote="Albert Silver"][quote="ozziejoe"]Hi folks,
Joseph[/quote]

Actually, I think it is only a matter of time before [url=http://www.chessassistantclub.com]that place[/url] starts filling up.
Albert[/quote]
This url does not work, at least for me. http://chessok.com/flash/rolik/rolik.html is ok.
By the way, I prefer to connect with Winboard rather than installing a new software.
ChessZone.org

Post by ChessZone.org »

Btw do someone from TalkChess playing on ChessPlanet zone?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

ChessZone.org wrote:Btw do someone from TalkChess playing on ChessPlanet zone?
I do, my handle is NYTed. I mostly play 15 3 r
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by AdminX »

I look forward to seeing the new GUI for Chess Assistant. It will look something like this from what I understand, but it will have a better looking board and chess pieces.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by ozziejoe »

given that rybka will also have a gui and is being sold by convekta, is it likely that both convekta and vas (rybka) will create a new gui? Image if they put all the gui resources into one place

J
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

ozziejoe wrote:given that rybka will also have a gui and is being sold by convekta, is it likely that both convekta and vas (rybka) will create a new gui? Image if they put all the gui resources into one place

J
It is my understanding that this GUI is being developed for both Chess Assistant and Rybka. There is a subforum on the Rybka Forum-site devoted to discussions about a new GUI.

From what I see there are a lot of options for annotating and exploring chess-tree analysis, that certainly gives a lot of possibilities!

I'm looking at the picture at 800x600 here but that is obviously not enough to get all the options on screen.

Interesting also the players of this game, they have both been members of my club, S.C. Groningen! When they were still youth players Joris Brenninkmeijer and Liafbern Riemersma also played in our internal club competition. Vladimir Kramnik is unfortunately no longer a member as the sponsor Hotels.NL did not continue this year with fully sponsoring our first team Groningen I. We used to have a very impressive memberships-list last season!

Eelco