ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Viz
Full name: Michael Chaly

Re: ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Post by Viz »

Spoiler - they were not.
I vaguely recall hardware they had and the biggest one was johny cluster, which is ofc nice but not comparable to let's say some Stockfish 14.1 Cluster with 131.072 threads that was tested by ipman.
Well, not to say that johny as software is so much weaker than sf that even this cluster probably was weaker than stockfish on any decent server.
eduherminio
Full name: Eduardo Caceres

Post by eduherminio »

Why do you mean by cluster? Is it allowed to connect to remote computers or to use distributed computing for the tournament?
Author of Lynx chess engine (GitHub, Lichess)
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

eduherminio wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 pm Is it allowed to connect to remote computers or to use distributed computing for the tournament?
There are 2 tournaments. The World Computer Chess Championship where the answer to your question is yes. In the World Chess Software Championship you have to use the hardware that is provided.
johnhamlen65
Full name: John Hamlen

Post by johnhamlen65 »

Hi Richard,
Sorry, can't PM at the moment, but I'd love to be involved in this with Woodpusher :D
All the best
John
amchess

Post by amchess »

I am one of those responsible for ShashChess, a derivative of Stockfish, under GPL.
I have been told that permission from the Stockfish team is required to participate in WCCC.
If I get any prize money, I am willing to donate the entire amount to the community.
Can I participate with ShashChess?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

amchess wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:56 am I am one of those responsible for ShashChess, a derivative of Stockfish, under GPL.
I have been told that permission from the Stockfish team is required to participate in WCCC.
If I get any prize money, I am willing to donate the entire amount to the community.
Wow - that's a really gracious offer.
I wonder what excuses they might make to say no.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

amchess wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:56 am I am one of those responsible for ShashChess, a derivative of Stockfish, under GPL.
I would argue that you already have that permission: the GPL grants you that. It very explicitly denies the Stockfish team the right to impose any restrictions on how you use the software covered by the license.
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

The ICGA rules are extremely fuzzy about this, and judgement of officials feels hard to predict for me.

I'd suggest to get at least a written permission by whoever maintains Stockfish right now as a lead. With this, you should be on the safe side.
I'd add said statement to your application.

I suppose you don't want to discuss this during the tournament, which might make your holidays a most unpleasant experience.
amchess

Post by amchess »

Peter Berger wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:42 am
The ICGA rules are extremely fuzzy about this, and judgement of officials feels hard to predict for me.

I'd suggest to get at least a written permission by whoever maintains Stockfish right now as a lead. With this, you should be on the safe side.
I'd add said statement to your application.

I suppose you don't want to discuss this during the tournament, which might make your holidays a most unpleasant experience.
Who is now the lead?
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

amchess wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:18 pm [...]
Who is now the lead?
According to CPW, since 2020 Joost VandeVondele:

https://www.chessprogramming.org/Joost_ ... #Stockfish

--
Srdja