Schooner Version 1.8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

D Sceviour

Schooner Version 1.8

Post by D Sceviour »

Schooner Version 1.8 is now available.

- WinBoard compatible, CECP compliant, ICS capable
- 64/32 bit versions
- SSE Popcnt support
- Default hash size 128 Mb - adjustable
- Pawn Hash - recommended minimum 32 Mb
- 1 CPU - no threading
- Pondering allowed
- Resident personality book
- Optional polyglot book - named "book.bin"
- Adjustable sc.ini file
- Endgame table bases not supported

https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/

Rename the executables *.exe

Type "help" in a console for more information.

The bookdepth is set in ply's or half-moves. The bookdepth and pickbest flags are for resident and polyglot books only. They do not affect GUI books.

To human players: There are still a few chess players looking to challenge a machine. This version is probably too strong for humans to defeat. There is no fun playing unless there are expectations of winning. However, a weaker 1.57 - 32 bit version is still available for download on the website. Schooner does not have a skill level adjustment (and is unlikely to have one). The strength can be reduced slightly by setting the hash sizes to a bare minimum (64K). Then use Book 1 mode, or use the personality.pgn file as a GUI book. Arena GUI has a Strength% time adjustment to reduce the skill level. This can be set in Engines/Engine Management/Details. Winboard has a Time-Odds Factor in Options/Time Control, but I cannot recall having ever tested it.

Also, do not give up on version 1.7. There is a shortage of engines available in the 2450-2500 elo category and Schooner v1.7 still fits there.
Graham Banks

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by Graham Banks »

D Sceviour wrote:Schooner Version 1.8 is now available.
Thanks Dennis. All the best with this new version. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

D Sceviour wrote:Schooner Version 1.8 is now available.

- WinBoard compatible, CECP compliant, ICS capable
- 64/32 bit versions
- SSE Popcnt support
- Default hash size 128 Mb - adjustable
- Pawn Hash - recommended minimum 32 Mb
- 1 CPU - no threading
- Pondering allowed
- Resident personality book
- Optional polyglot book - named "book.bin"
- Adjustable sc.ini file
- Endgame table bases not supported

https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/

Rename the executables *.exe

Type "help" in a console for more information.

The bookdepth is set in ply's or half-moves. The bookdepth and pickbest flags are for resident and polyglot books only. They do not affect GUI books.

To human players: There are still a few chess players looking to challenge a machine. This version is probably too strong for humans to defeat. There is no fun playing unless there are expectations of winning. However, a weaker 1.57 - 32 bit version is still available for download on the website. Schooner does not have a skill level adjustment (and is unlikely to have one). The strength can be reduced slightly by setting the hash sizes to a bare minimum (64K). Then use Book 1 mode, or use the personality.pgn file as a GUI book. Arena GUI has a Strength% time adjustment to reduce the skill level. This can be set in Engines/Engine Management/Details. Winboard has a Time-Odds Factor in Options/Time Control, but I cannot recall having ever tested it.

Also, do not give up on version 1.7. There is a shortage of engines available in the 2450-2500 elo category and Schooner v1.7 still fits there.
I can't download it. It gives me a virus warning and automatically deletes the file.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

The original ZIP is clean. Perhaps the missing EXE extension on the execs gets your oddball AV paranoid.

Here is a repacked ZIP with EXE extensions restored.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

I still get the following crap from Windows 10 defender:

Most likely a false positive, but it deletes the file immediately.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

VirusTotal says it is clean, so it is most likely a false positive, as you surmised. The odd thing is that I also have Windows 10 (64 bit home, version 1607), and Defender doesn't complain on my machine, with up to date definitions as of now. Maybe there is a difference if you are running Windows 10 Pro or have the Content Creators update installed.
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

CMCanavessi wrote:I can't download it. It gives me a virus warning and automatically deletes the file.
Weird. Sometimes the blockers will stop an .exe from passing through the filters. That is why I pruned the exe. It also prevents auto unpackers from running any unwanted executables.
The repack is obviously a problem and I would not have suggested it. The profile for Carlos Canavessi does not say much about your location. Might be something to do with your local server.
If the problem persists then try leaving an email address for an attachment. Also, some members of the CCRL group are already testing it. They may be able to forward a copy.

I cannot read Spanish well enough to comment on the image. However, I would ask that you accept the package and ignore the message. The directory should contain:

01/15/2018 03:36 PM 485 readme.txt
01/15/2018 12:59 PM 418 sc.ini
08/12/2015 03:01 PM 4,583 schooner.jpg
01/15/2018 12:16 PM 332,800 Schooner1.8_32
01/15/2018 12:11 PM 304,640 Schooner1.8_64

If it does not then delete the package, and re-notify about the problem.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Thanx Dennis, I really want to include Schooner in Season 2 of my tournament (league system). I'll download it with my linux box and problem solved. Was just pointing the problem I was facing in case some1 might have the same issue.
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

CMCanavessi wrote:Thanx Dennis, I really want to include Schooner in Season 2 of my tournament (league system). I'll download it with my linux box and problem solved. Was just pointing the problem I was facing in case some1 might have the same issue.
I am glad it worked out :)
pkumar

Post by pkumar »

I get a "Failed - Virus detected" message.