New Houdini

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

Re: re: win adjudication/Re: New Houdini

Post by shrapnel »

reflectionofpower wrote:I like Houdini but everyone copies from everyone nowadays. Years ago every program had a different style and programmers never openly talked about how they did this or that on their program.

Mark Zukerberg - Facebook - took the idea of the facebook concept from his colleagues when he was in college - HarvardConnection

Steve Jobs - took the idea of an iconical GUI from Xerox - became the Apple concept

Bill Gates - took the idea of Windows from Steve Jobs in collaboration with him one year later I believe.

It's a rarity from someone to come up with an idea or a device that is original.

I am actually in the process of developing an invisible condom. The tagline is," Not seeing is believing" I would be a god among mere mortals. :lol:
Observing or getting an idea is one thing ; ACTING upon it or extending the idea is another, which deserves no less credit if not more.
Many people before Newton had observed an apple falling from a Tree, but it was Newton who extended the idea/observation to formulate his Law of Gravity.
So, the World will always remember Issac Newton, but not the nameless others who came before him who also saw apples falling to the ground.
In the same way, Houdart may have got the basic idea elsewhere, but it is he and only he, who has extended the idea of Houdini beyond all measures.
So, trying to take away credit from Houdart is wrong and smacks of pettiness and simple jealousy.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

shrapnel wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:I like Houdini but everyone copies from everyone nowadays. Years ago every program had a different style and programmers never openly talked about how they did this or that on their program.

Mark Zukerberg - Facebook - took the idea of the facebook concept from his colleagues when he was in college - HarvardConnection

Steve Jobs - took the idea of an iconical GUI from Xerox - became the Apple concept

Bill Gates - took the idea of Windows from Steve Jobs in collaboration with him one year later I believe.

It's a rarity from someone to come up with an idea or a device that is original.

I am actually in the process of developing an invisible condom. The tagline is," Not seeing is believing" I would be a god among mere mortals. :lol:
Observing or getting an idea is one thing ; ACTING upon it or extending the idea is another, which deserves no less credit if not more.
Many people before Newton had observed an apple falling from a Tree, but it was Newton who extended the idea/observation to formulate his Law of Gravity.
So, the World will always remember Issac Newton, but not the nameless others who came before him who also saw apples falling to the ground.
In the same way, Houdart may have got the basic idea elsewhere, but it is he and only he, who has extended the idea of Houdini beyond all measures.
So, trying to take away credit from Houdart is wrong and smacks of pettiness and simple jealousy.
I agree. Houdart is doing good. Don't forget about the Newton/Leibniz controversy on calculus. :wink:
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

shrapnel wrote:

You read way too much negativity in Lonnie's comments. Lonnie was just talking about the natural advancement and progression of human knowledge. Everyone Lonnie talked about took something from something or somebody else and made it better - he was saying the same thing about Robert and to be included in the same company as Gates, Jobs and Zuckerberg is actually a pretty good compliment. I saw no pettiness and jealousy at all - just an overreaction from a zealous supporter of Robert - and there is nothing wrong with being a zealous supporter of Robert if that's what you want to do - no need to throw insults at somebody just making a harmless observation.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

So after TCEC rapid Houdini is improved by 214 ELO from H4!! Stage 3 says "only" by 153 ELO. And RH said latest version is +30 better. Before superfinal another 30? Considering this rapid I agree 100% this chat comment. "This rapid tournament, with this formula, was a mistake and a useless waste of time... And it hurted Sf chances of winning sf (no important patches in last two months), it helped Houdart catching up SF... What a shame."
Jouni
mehmet karaman

Post by mehmet karaman »

"...and it hurted Sf chances of winning sf (no important patches in last two months), it helped Houdart catching up SF "

Stockfish Regression Test

13.10.2016:
ELO: 77.45 +-2.6 (95%) LOS: 100.0%
Total: 20000 W: 5267 L: 881 D: 13852

ELO: 52.59 +-1.7 (95%) LOS: 100.0%
Total: 40000 W: 8422 L: 2413 D: 29165
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

When will new Houdini be released? 1st Nov, any news?
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

did they cancel TCEC final?
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Folks in tcec chat were chatting that the tourney director Mr Anton was sick. (May be rumors , may be true.)So the final might start when he gets better.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:did they cancel TCEC final?
No, merely postponed until Stockfish Development Version gets a few more ELO.
Top Stockfish Programmer, Stéphane Nicolet, is hard at work churning out new Patches.
Powers-That-Be ( who DON'T want Houdini to win) are scared that if the Super-Final is played right now, Houdini will simply THRASH Stockfish, thereby causing them severe Acidity, Indigestion and Dyspepsia ! :lol:
So, I hereby declare HOUDINI to be the Super-Final Winner by Default, as opponent didn't turn up ! :D
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
mehmet karaman

Post by mehmet karaman »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:When will new Houdini be released? 1st Nov, any news?
Houdini will be released in the second week of November. (Robert said that at Tcec Forum)