ChessGUI - important question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BBauer

Re: ChessGUI - important question

Post by BBauer »

Critter 1.6a 64-bit uses 256MB - why so little.
Is this an "important question" ?

Kind regrds
Bernhard
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote:
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:What if during the tournament I will use all tablebase, so Namilova,Gaviota,Syzygy. I write, for example TB Cache 512 MB whether it will be written wrongly.
From my understanding, ChessGUI will use the first type of tablebase listed in any engine's parameters.

Hopefully Matthias will see this thread and correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the chess engine that decides which tablebases to use. :wink:

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:What if during the tournament I will use all tablebase, so Namilova,Gaviota,Syzygy. I write, for example TB Cache 512 MB whether it will be written wrongly.
From my understanding, ChessGUI will use the first type of tablebase listed in any engine's parameters.

Hopefully Matthias will see this thread and correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the chess engine that decides which tablebases to use. :wink:

Matthias.
Thanks for the clarification.

So an engine can use two or three different types of tablebases in its search if they're in its parameters?

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

So an engine can use two or three different types of tablebases in its search if they're in its parameters?

Graham.
Possible, but engine would likely choose only one to use.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

hgm wrote:Syzygy tablebases use no cache.

These are engine parameters anyway, the GUI can do nothing more but pass them on to engines that say they want to have them.
Are you sure that 100% because I do not. During the tournament TCEC is written " Tablebase Cache. For Season 8, each engine is configured with a tablebase cache of 32 MB.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, 'configuring' means "passing information to", right?

Of course I am sure. I build engines and tablebase generators. You really think I could do that if I did not know how things work?
Krzysztof Grzelak

You write so
hgm wrote:Syzygy tablebases use no cache.

These are engine parameters anyway, the GUI can do nothing more but pass them on to engines that say they want to have them.
Then please write because I do not quite understand. That's what's options in the engine Komodo - Table Memory, since the program uses tablebases syzygy. What it is and whether it is needed in the engine.
hgm

Post by hgm »

When during the search of a position Komodo encounters positions that have 6 or fewer men on the board, it wants to look op in the tablebase what the game-theoretical result for this position (win, loss or draw) is. For this it has to know the filename of the tablebase, otherwise it would not know where to look.

The tablebase cache size tells Komodo how many of the <=6-man positions it must maximally keep in memory after it has used them, speculating on that they will be needed again. Syzygy tablebases never try to cahche any tablebase data this way.
Krzysztof Grzelak

hgm wrote:When during the search of a position Komodo encounters positions that have 6 or fewer men on the board, it wants to look op in the tablebase what the game-theoretical result for this position (win, loss or draw) is. For this it has to know the filename of the tablebase, otherwise it would not know where to look.

The tablebase cache size tells Komodo how many of the <=6-man positions it must maximally keep in memory after it has used them, speculating on that they will be needed again. Syzygy tablebases never try to cahche any tablebase data this way.

Thank you for your response. So a higher number Table Memory the better for engine depending on whether the party is played short or long party. But here I could be wrong.
hgm

Post by hgm »

The more memory cache the better (Except for Syzygy, which ignores this parameter). Best would be to use 500GB as EGTB cache, then the entire EGTB would fit in that cache. Except of course when your computer does not have that amount of memory. If your computer only has a finite amount of memory you would have to decide how to distribute it between hash table and EGTB cache. And memory used for hash table has probably a much better effect on playing strength than memory used as EGTB cache.