Glass 1.6 - New with Personalities!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edmund

Glass 1.6 - New with Personalities!!

Post by Edmund »

Hello,

I am glad to announce the new Glass 1.6 by Pawel Koziol and Edmund Moshammer.

Besides bug-hunting, a great opening-book update and improving its tactical awareness by reducing the aggression with history heuristics, we invested a lot of effort into creating personalities.

At the moment Glass comes with 21 documented personalities at varying levels of strength. You can now choose to play against different personalities such as a 1500elo Coward or a 1800elo Punk (pathological Attacker). We suggest you load the engine using the UCI protocol, then you can select the personality in the options dialog. Otherwise using winboard, you can set the Personality option in "default.ini" (eg.: "Personality=Maverick")

We would be happy if you also shared your interesting personalities. Creating them is easy but can be very fun. You have 33 options available to tune the style and playing strength of the computer engine. Just create another *.ini file in the personalities folder like the other samples.

Also we would be very interested in your opinions on the playing strength of the current personalities. The Elo-classifications were set by many engine vs engine games and a couple of human vs engine games. But please tell us, should you think we are very much off the actual playing level for a certain personality.

The package can be downloaded as always on the Glass Homepage:
http://www.marittima.pl/glass

In the package you find 2 executables:
Glass_1.6_tourn.exe is used for tournaments only (not affected by most personality features)
Glass_1.6_weak.exe is used for personality play and thus slightly slower than the tournament version

regards,
Edmund
fern

Re: Glass 1.6 - New with Personalities!!

Post by fern »

Thank you guys, i will give it a try...

Fern
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Edmund and Pawel. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
meschle

Post by meschle »

Thanks playing it now :)
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
Guerrero

Post by Guerrero »

Edmund wrote:Hello,
At the moment Glass comes with 21 documented personalities at varying levels of strength.
Edmund
I like it. Thanks !
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Edmund wrote:..........Besides bug-hunting, a great opening-book update and improving its tactical awareness by reducing the aggression with history heuristics, we invested a lot of effort into creating personalities.......
Early indications here are that Glass 1.6 default seems to be quite a bit stronger than previous versions. :)

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Hi,
I'm having some trouble with the installation. I'm getting a "create process error" message when trying to install either executable in Arena in a 32-bit system. Are these engines 64-bit by chance?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Jimbo I wrote:Hi,
I'm having some trouble with the installation. I'm getting a "create process error" message when trying to install either executable in Arena in a 32-bit system. Are these engines 64-bit by chance?
No - I currently have it running under a 32-bit OS. If it helps I can put my Glass 1.6 folder in CCRL public for you, but I'm only using the default engine and with a generic opening book rather than its own.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Jimbo I wrote:Hi,
Hello James,
Glass has simple 32-bit compiles without very platform dependent requirements. Can you actually run the executable stand-alone in console-mode, that means right from the windows explorer? Does it report any other error-messages/error-codes?

regards,
Edmund
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Graham Banks wrote:
Edmund wrote:..........Besides bug-hunting, a great opening-book update and improving its tactical awareness by reducing the aggression with history heuristics, we invested a lot of effort into creating personalities.......
Early indications here are that Glass 1.6 default seems to be quite a bit stronger than previous versions. :)

Cheers,
Graham.
Great to hear, Graham. I am closely following your tournament.