Scidb on linux mint

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Scidb on linux mint

Post by Ferdy »

Does anyone tried to install scidb in linux mint?

http://scidb.sourceforge.net/

Does it work?
Does creation of crazyhouse database work?

I am particularly interested on crazyhouse database stats display similar to what scid vs pc tree.

Thanks for the input.
styx

Re: Scidb on linux mint

Post by styx »

The DEB file doesn't work for me. So you need to compile it yourself. Compiling worked for me but I refuse to install it via "make install". So I don't know for sure.

All in all it seems the developers have no real clue what they are doing.
gcramer

Post by gcramer »

Does creation of crazyhouse database work?
Yes, it works.
I am particularly interested on crazyhouse database stats display similar to what scid vs pc tree.
Chess variant support is still experimental, and not yet finished, database stats are not yet available, this will be realized in a future database version. The main problem here is: Something like an ECO classification for crazyhouse openings is required for building stats, and this is a lot of work. And the support of chess variants has not highest priority. The current chess variant support is a major help for me to design a flexible database version, not restricted to standard chess. It is planned that Scidb will have a full support for some chess variants, but not before the implementation for standard chess support is finished.
The DEB file doesn't work for me. So you need to compile it yourself.
This file works, but only on some platforms. It seems to be impossible to make a DEB file which works on all (debian based) platforms. So probably you have to compile and install it by hand. Don't fear "make install", because "make uninstall" works properly. Only the private working directory .scidb-beta remains after deinstallation, remove it by hand.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

I was able to install it via the source in Linux mint 17.3.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

I was able to install it via source in linux mint 17.3, following the guide at site.
I am able to create zh database as well and imported some games, also able to install a zh engine and successfully run it in analyzing positions. Too bad the database tree was not there.

What is your idea in building ECO for zh games, why it takes a lot of work?

e4 e5 nf3 nc6 bb5 and we already have a ruy lopez eco to use.
gcramer

Post by gcramer »

What is your idea in building ECO for zh games, why it takes a lot of work?
For the quick built of a database tree some acceleration data is required (very fast position search, move transposition independent). For standard chess my basis for the acceleration is a very elaborated ECO classification. This classification is not useful for zh games, here a classification system especially for zh openings is required. Nobody yet has done this work (or I don't know it). Building a sophisticated classification needs some time. For standard chess I'm working since more than two years on a new classification system, which will (hopefully) provide very fast opening position search even for databases with some millions of games. This kind of search is the base for the built of the database stats.
e4 e5 nf3 nc6 bb5 and we already have a ruy lopez eco to use.
Probably this special opening line may also be adequate for zh games, but many other ECO lines are not useful, playing Crazyhouse is a quite different way to play chess.

About Scidb: this application is still beta, and the chess variant support is still experimental, but tested. Nevertheless the support of crazyhouse games needs more practical test, so please keep in mind that you are one of the testers, as long as Scidb is not finished. The "official" testers of Scidb are only using the standard chess support, not the crazyhouse support. So please do a backup from time to time. The file browser of Scidb provides very convenient features to make a copy of a database, as well as to archive databases.